Between 1995 and 1996, TV Tokyo aired the Japanese mecha anime Neon Genesis Evangelion series. The television series – created by Gainax – starred Megumi Ogata as Shinji Ikari, Megumi Hayashibara as Rei Ayanami, Yuko Miyamura as Asuka Langley Soryu. Focused on a seemingly never-ending battle between humans and Angles taking place in the futuristic fortified city of Tokyo-3.
During its run, Neon Genesis Evangelion clocked up one season, equating to a whopping 26 episodes ( The TV series is followed up by two movies, Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion). The show was a huge hit with audiences in the US, was also sold around the world, and is still in regular rotation on Netflix today.
Although the final episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion hit TV screens in 1997, this wasn’t the end for the show. Due to the overwhelming popularity of the series, Netflix announced in 2018 that it had acquired the worldwide streaming rights to the original anime series, which continued the story.
But what are the Neon Genesis Evangelion movies or series, and what is the order to watch them? Read on for all those details and more.
The order of the Neon Genesis Evangelion series & television movies
In total, there are five Neon Genesis Evangelion movies, which aired between 1997 and 2012. If you wish to watch the Neon Genesis Evangelion movies in order, then view them as follows:
Revival of Evangelion series
1. Death & Rebirth (1997)
2. The End of Evangelion (1997)
Rebuild of Evangelion series
3. Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone (2007)
4. Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance (2009)
5. Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo (2012)
Besides, these both movie series retelling of the original Neon Genesis Evangelion anime TV series. The new movie in Rebuild of Evangelion – 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon A Time – will be released in 2021.
Neon Genesis Evangelion movies/shows in chronological order
If you’re new to Neon Genesis Evangelion and you want to watch the TV show/movies in its entirety (and in chronological order), view the TV show & movies as follows:
1. Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon A Time (TBA)
2. Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo (2012)
3. The End of Evangelion (1997)
4. Original Episodes 25-26
5. Original Episodes 1-24
6. Death & Rebirth (1997) Or Original Episodes 21-24
7. Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance (2009)
8. Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone (2007)
Also, the new movie named Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time is a pre-equal story of the original anime story.
List of Neon Genesis Evangelion Characters
Notable main characters of the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series/movies include Shinji Ikari, Misato Katsuragi, Rei Ayanami, and Asuka Langley Soryu.
Also supporting characters of TV series/movies include Gendo Ikari, Ritsuko Akagi, Kozo Fuyutsuki, Ryoji Kaji, Makoto Hyuga, Maya Ibuki, Shigeru Aoba, and Kaworu Nagisa.
What is the best Neon Genesis Evangelion movie?
According to IMDb, the Neon Genesis Evangelion movies are ranked from best to last-best as follows:
1. The End of Evangelion (1997) – 8.1/10
2. Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance (2009) – 8.0/10
3. Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone (2007) – 7.7/10
4. Death & Rebirth (1997) – 7.5/10
5. Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo (2012) – 7.0/10
I hope all information about Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series/movies prove to useful.